If you're not looking to major in business, but know that a general knowledge of business practices will support your career, then you should consider earning a minor from the Department of Business Administration.
Requirements for the Minor in Business Administration
The Minor in Business Administration consists of 5 required courses (Total of 20 Units).
The 200-level courses must be completed in order and with a grade of C or better in order to be eligible to enroll in the 300-level courses. These two courses will give you a foundation in financial and managerial accounting.
- BUS 230A Financial Accounting (4) (Or, their transfer equivalents, as approved by the department chair)
- BUS 230B Managerial Accounting (4) (Or, their transfer equivalents, as approved by the department chair)
The 300-level courses can be completed in any order and MUST be completed at Sonoma State University. These three courses will give you an understanding of how organizations are run, how they present themselves and their products/services (marketing), and how they manage their money (finance).
- BUS 344 Organizational Behavior (4)
- BUS 360 Introduction to Marketing (4)
- BUS 370 Introduction to Managerial Finance (4)
Who Can Declare a Minor in Business Administration
Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.50 in order to apply for the Business minor.
Students looking to declare must have enough time left before graduation to complete the five required courses. Please note: Minors can only take one business course a semester. Please understand that it will take 5 semesters to complete the minor.
Courses can be taken during the regular academic semesters and/or during summer and winter intersession.
How to Declare a Minor in Business Administration
Students must complete both the Business Minor Declaration and Change of Major/Minor forms and leave them for Kirsten Ely at the SBE Main Office (Stevenson 2042).
Business Minor Declaration Form
- Be sure to fill out the semesters you plan to take each required course. This will let us know you have planned sufficient time in your schedule. You can switch around when you take the 300-level courses according to what fits into your schedule.
Change of Major/Minor Form
- This form is available in hard copy only. Please pick one up at the SBE Main Office (Stevenson 2042).
How to Register for Courses
Lower Division Courses (BUS 230A and BUS 230B)
- Those listed as Business Minors on their ARR (check your MYSSU) can register starting the Monday of the 2nd week of registration.
- Both courses will be open to everyone starting the Monday of the 3rd week of registration.
Note: It takes up to two weeks to process your declaration, so don't count on registering during the 2nd week if you apply within two weeks of the start of registration.
Upper Division Courses (BUS 344, BUS 360, and BUS 370)
- Complete a Request to Take an Upper Division Business Administration Course form, and submit it to the SBE Main Office (Stevenson 2042) before or during the first week of registration.
- Do not forget to provide options, in case the section requested does not have room. We need the options and your preferred order to easily find a section or another class that works for you.
- A staff member will contact you the Monday of the 2nd week of registration with a permission number for your course. If none of your options are open, a staff member will work with you to find something that moves you forward and fits in your schedule.
The Academic Advisor for the Business Administration Minor is Kirsten Ely (Stevenson 2026L).
- If you have no questions, leave the completed paperwork for Kirsten Ely at the SBE Main Office (Stevenson 2042).
- If you have questions, please email Kirsten Ely directly.